Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Impressive classmates

Today Sherdog.com posted their monthly divisional rankings. Debuting at the bottom of the top ten light heavyweights in the world was high school classmate and teammate Ryan Bader.

Holy crap. That's incredible. This guy I knew in school is probably one of the 50 or so toughest people on the planet, and easily in the top few hundred. That's just mind boggling. Turn on a UFC PPV, and there's the dude who was always better at every sport when we were kids. (Yes, high schoolers are kids, not adults.)

The next most famous McQueen 01 member is Chris Carr of the Baltimore Ravens. While no one outside of Northern Nevada or Boise, Idaho really knows who he is, he's certainly the better monetarily compensated of the two.

Having two "true" pro athletes in a class of 400-something is statistically rare, but that's not why it's interesting. The reason it's worth mentioning is it makes one reflect and consider one's own accomplishments to date.

I'm doing pretty well in life, certainly better than I deserve, but it's always nice to be humbled. These two gents (and really, they were both nice guys) are already doing what they will be known for. We know what their names will always kick out first in Google.

I don't even know what city I'll be living in next year, much less what my legacy will be.

Hopefully, I leave one.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: