Saturday, May 24, 2008

Election 08: The Main Event

Let me tell you right out of the gate: I'm excited for this election. I'm a McCain fan. Big time. Absolutely love the guy, and I'll consider it an honor to vote for him. He is one of the three men on my short list for top choices for president, behind only Colin Powell and the governor of California. I know it's not possible-yet-but that could change. After all, he's Arnold, what's to stop him? Back to the topic at hand

Let's be honest though, this campaign isn't about John McCain. A qualified, old, white male veteran is hardly a novel concept for the highest office in the land. Hopefully McCain will win, but he might not. So, in the absolute worst possible situation (i.e. the other party wins) America gets it's first black president, which is also a good thing. I think we'll end up being okay either way.

I don't want Obama for president, but I have to hand it to him. Hillary had every advantage coming into this, and he took it straight to her. She had the money, the infrastructure, the connections. You name, she had it. And he beat her in delegates, states, and the popular vote. Every way you can look at keeping score, he took it to her.

I have a friend working on her campaign, and back in September she was telling me that only McCain would even have a shot against her. Talk about overlooking an opponent. Hillary Clinton came into this election clearly showing the inevitability card, and Obama showed her why they play the games in the first place. Hats off to Mr. Obama. He earned the Democratic nomination. Now it's time for the main event. The Viet Cong couldn't stop McCain, and they were allowed to torture him. We'll see what the kid can do.

4 comments:

DB said...

I am excited for the election as well, it seems like it will be a good match-up for our country. As we have heard for the last four years, this was Hillary's election to lose...and she surprisingly lost it. Sure, Obama took it, but still, she blew it. I am fine with whoever wins (as of now, before VP selections), which is more than I could say last election which, imo, was pure disappointment on both sides. Now I feel I can vote for someone rather than against someone. Good post.

Kinggame said...

Thanks Dave. I'm pretty lopsided in who I would prefer, but I'm also more conservative than you, but I still won't be killing myself if Obama wins. One of my favorite things about this election is that it there is no question that a choice needs to be made. In 00, it was two of the same. Not the case this time round.

McQ said...

I agree with everything you said except for us being "OK" if Obama wins. I couldn't disagree more. Will it be cool to have a black president? I could care less. Will it be cool to have Obama as president? Absolutely not. He will be disasterous to this country, especially with a liberally held congress. Prepare to pay for it out of your wallet and freedoms.

Kinggame said...

Wallet? Yes. Freedoms? I'm not so sure. Due to corruption and the influence of special interests, neither party stands for freedoms as a whole at this point. While the Republicans are stronger for the right to bear arms, the Dems are better allies to the freedom of speech. The right is more supportive of us spending our money our way, but the left backs things like gay rights and drug use, which, whether you agree with them or not, are freedoms if allowed. These are broad strokes to be painting with, but they are more or less true.